Friday, April 30, 2010

Enjoyment

Yesterday morning, as I was walking to the coffee shop to do some work, I noticed how beautiful everything is. This is something that I notice with some frequency, but in the Spring I notice it much more regularly. New leaves are such a vibrant green, flowers are blooming, and people seem happy. They walk down the street with looks on their faces that say, “It’s so nice out!” Today it’s a little on the warm side for my taste, but to be able to go outside in a T-shirt is certainly refreshing. Furthermore, the sun is shining, and as it’s the last day of classes, people on campus are generally in good spirits. Today is easy to enjoy.

As far as enjoyment goes, a lot of things are easy to get wrong. First of all, it’s easy to forget that enjoying life is something that you should do. This isn’t true for everyone, and it affects different people in different ways, but for me it manifests itself in an inclination to feel like I’m doing something wrong if I’m enjoying myself too much. It was only recently that I realized that when someone asks me “do you want whipped cream on that?” the correct answer is usually yes.

Many people want to do things that they enjoy, and many people actually do them, but most of us think of that as being something selfish, or less judgmentally as morally indifferent. I think this is wrong. If you were the last person on Earth, it would be better for you to enjoy yourself than to not. If you are going through life without any enjoyment, you need to rethink your life plan.

These observations need a little qualifying, since enjoyment is such a broad term. Here are a few things I’ve enjoyed today:

1. Eating a healthy breakfast this morning: For breakfast I ate yogurt with bran flakes and granola. The taste isn’t thrilling, but I find it agreeable enough. The part that I enjoy is knowing that it’s good for me, and knowing that it will lead to me feeling better throughout the day.

2. Walking to campus and back: As I’ve said, the weather is wonderful today and easy to enjoy.

3. Teaching the last class of the semester: This was enjoyable on a number of levels. First of all there wasn’t a ton of material that I had to cover, and it was a topic that I’m familiar with and enjoy talking about. I was in a good mood, and the class seemed to be as well. Secondly, it was rewarding. The students handed in one page reflections on the course as a whole, and many of them had positive things to say about the course, as well as observing that they have changed as a result of it. This gives me a sense of purpose in life, knowing that I can help people to become aware of their connections to those around them, and that they may make conscious life decisions as a result.

4. Drinking some good whisky: Ok, so this part hasn’t actually happened yet, but I’m looking forward to it. In fact, anticipating drinking it is something that I find enjoyable in itself. In any case, there’s an event being put on by a couple faculty members: they’re bringing a couple bottles of scotch in exchange for an audience for their bagpiping.

The reason I went through a few of these things is that I think it’s important that we think about the different ways that we experience enjoyment. Many things we do and experience in life can please us, and it’s for the best if we take a moment to enjoy them.

One final thought: although I think that personal enjoyment is important, I’m not advocating that everyone go out and do whatever they think will give them the most pleasure at any given moment. First of all, being good involves acting rightly toward others (a topic to be covered in the future), but equally important is the fact that getting the most out of life sometimes involves delaying gratification. In fact, I think that’s a topic for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment